Friday, April 30, 2010

end of the week reflections

1) I've managed to get another mate from Sydney to join the group. Hopefully he will upload photos as his work is keeping him very busy. But on the other hand, my 'friend' NJW, who joined POOL last week, has gotten some comments on one of her photos:



It's a great start for her and I'll be encouraging her to upload her works from time to time.

2) I uploaded a photo this week:


didn't garner much comments as i would have liked.

however, my previous photo of the Noh Masks has turned out to be something of a hit. It got featured on the POOL FB page (http://www.facebook.com/ABCpool) and as well on the mytribe blog (http://blogs.radionational.net.au/360/mytribe/?p=53).

It got another comment: 'Isn't part of being accepted in a tribe that you don't have to don a 'mask'? Or, another way to think of it could be a mask is not a hding place, but an outward expression of who you are? Very provocative - I like it :D'

The user posed a question to me in her comment and I was glad that my photo had once again invoked some emotional response.

I replied: 'we all don masks in what we do in our everyday lives.. what kind of mask? its up to everyone's imagination and interpretation..'

and then another user posed this question: 'this is an interesting discussion. Let me take both your ideas and turn them around by 180 degrees - and ask another question:

If we do NOT reveal all of ourselves to whatever tribe we are joining at the moment, is this a type of mask? In other words, can a mask be that of omission rather than that of 'putting on something extra' to hide something else?

Don't we join different tribes at different times - do you reveal the same part of your face to your family as you do to your study-partners or work-colleagues? Do you actually put on a different mask, or do you just choose to OMIT parts of your persona?

jesswalker, are we ALWAYS accepted?'

My photo and short subtle text of it had achieved its objective. The user had seen both sides of the photo and had reached the depth of what i was trying to portray. So kudos to him. I suppose I can give myself 5 stars out of 5 for getting such a response? Haha :p.. no matter, I hope more people on POOL are able to provide more of these photos.

3) After giving it much thought, I think it's kind of late to start a photography group on POOL. Perharps the website is still in the beta stage and the population of photographers on POOL has not reached the optimal number to allow a creation of such a group..

..yet.

For those reading this blog, I'm hoping the admins and producers explore the idea of creating photography discussion groups in the future. Of course it will not reach the dazzling heights of Flickr and other photography websites, but it's still a start. Rome wasn't built in a day. And I know for sure that photographers are not afraid to show their works on a global scale. I'm proud of my own works and I will continue to upload my photos every week.

well, the only thing now to look forward to is the big screening on Fed Square on 28 May. Would be lovely if my mask photo were to appear - after all, who doesn't like their photos being published?

No comments:

Post a Comment